Dressing well isn’t something that comes naturally to everyone all the time. Even when you are an expert in this game, some days are still a struggle. In order to have a great style, you need to put in some effort. Anyone can look good just so far as they try. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you become a fashionista every day.
1. Know a Good Tailor: After knowing your body type, the next person you need to know is a good tailor, like me. A good tailor can make a cheap dress look a million dollar. The price tag on your clothes doesn’t matter as much as how the clothes look on you. While expensive clothing might fit better without altering it, inexpensive clothes can appear just as good with some expert tailoring. Buying a less expensive piece of clothing and getting it fixed is one of my favourite style hacks. You can make a 3,000 naira dress look like a 20,000 designer piece with the expertise of the good tailor. Tailoring your cheap clothes is like waving a magic wand over them. Little adjustments like reducing the waist can completely transform how a dress looks on you.
2. Invest in Good Bras and Undies: A bra that fits well can transform your life. It can make you look at your best instantly. Think of your clothes like a building, and your undies as its foundation. If the foundation is not right, how can be building be good? You can put on the most expensive clothes, have an impeccable style and yet, you still will not look your best if you don’t have a good fitting bra and underwear on.While most women continue to wear the wrong bra, the benefits of investing time in the right ones are many. A lot of us do not even realize that we are guilty of this too. So it is a good idea to check yourself. Some of the benefits of a good bra apart from making your clothes to fit better is that can prevent sagging by providing good support. The good bra visually takes pounds off your body instantly that means that a badly fitted bra makes you appear bulkier than you actually are. The wrong bra will also affect your shape for the worse and your posture as well. We may think that the perky kind of bust is what is perfect. Contrary to that, there are many kinds of bust shapes out there so finding your very own perfect bra is what should be important to you rather than the shape
3. Own classics/ Buy More Versatile Pieces: One of the most common fashion tips for building a great wardrobe is to base it on classic pieces and then add trending clothes once in a while. Every woman – regardless of age, body shape, or overall style – should own the following pieces. A classic white shirt, black and blue jeans, and a black dress. Dressed up or down, they always look classic and on-trend. By knowing what you should spend on each one, you can start to build a timeless wardrobe that can save you money and have you feeling amazing. Think about all the shopping you do in a year, and how much of it is the result of poor-quality clothes or items that have gone out of style and need to be replaced. While buying quality clothes might require more of an investment, they also last much longer both in time and in taste. Speaking of quality clothing, you should take a look at our shop.
4. Bespoke is for the Seniors: When I talk about clothing, two options pop in my mind: Tailor-made and Ready-made. Both types of clothes are complete opposites. The former is custom made hence unique and the latter is widely available for anybody. I wish people knew the importance of a well-tailored dress. Our fashion seniors (celebrities, fashion-forward individuals and influential people) knows this. That is why they prefer tailored pieces over ready-made. Bespoke garments are investment pieces. I personally prefer it over ready-made ones because it is unique, it fits precisely, I get exactly what you want, the clothes last longer because the fabrics, style and tailoring are specifically done to fit.
5. Wash your Clothes the Right Way: Figuring out the symbols on clothing labels can feel a lot like taking a test, one that you definitely don’t want to fail. Some of the things to know are:
Do not use the normal chlorine bleach on coloured clothes. There are colour-safe bleach that works on all colours and helps removes stains. Chlorine bleach helps brighten whites only. You should never use it on coloured fabrics. Let your delicates soak for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse in clear water two to three times. Best to wash your coloured clothes especially Ankara with mild detergent and air dry.
6. Play with Prints and Pattern: Nothing says ‘fashionista’ quite like your ability to mix prints. When you take two or more very different pieces and make them work together in a chic and cool way – that’s when you can call yourself a fashion expert. Let me teach you how to do it.
When thinking about mixing prints, your instinct might be to grab two totally different patterns but a fool-proof way is to consider sticking to a single theme. E.g. tiny florals and big ones, different paisley colours and patterns put them all together as a look… It always works. Mixing patterns isn’t so much about the prints as it is about the colours of the prints. I’m of the belief that no two prints can work together until colour comes into question. So when scanning your closet for prints that can pair well together, think about how the colours complement each other. Pairing prints may seem scary, but it’s actually easier than it looks.
7. When Wearing White, Choose the Right Colour of Inner: On this, my secondary school days come to my mind, our uniform was a white shirt and deep ash colour skirt. Our principle would advise us on the right colour of inners to wear so that our whites does not look colour clashed and unkempt. She usually stresses that we should wear either wear a white or a black coloured vest. Other colours are a no-no So we only wore white and black inners. Growing up and becoming a fashion girl, I have found even a better option. “Nudes”. Nude underwear can camouflage you undergarments because they’ll blend in with your skin. If your goal is to keep your undies intimate, then you really need to go with a nude tone. This colour could be the actual colour nude, but could also be a brown, beige or even light pink. No matter what your skin tone even if you are darker-skinned or very fair, the nude colour will always be better than white or black.
8. Know your Best Features and Accentuate it: If your favourite feature isn’t necessarily your face, and that’s cool, maybe you love your legs, your hips, your breasts, or even your belly button. Rest assured, there are fashion choices that can help you make the most of your body’s fabulous features very obvious. These are a few tips that always work for everyone.
Choose Lower Necklines. The problem with high necklines is that they can look like a solid block and make you look square. Lower neckline, especially deep Vs are better because they break up your body and draw attention up toward your face.
Wear more Peplums: Peplums are always a good idea. People usually either love them or hate them, but the truth is they’re great if you’re looking to create the illusion of a curvier figure.
Try off-the-shoulder tops. Drawing a horizontal line across your chest and arms with an off-the-shoulder top helps emphasize the widest part of your body, making your waist look smaller by comparison. When worn with a flared or A-line skirt, it creates a perfectly balanced hourglass shape that’s more dramatic and more comfortable than anything you’re likely to achieve with some body-con dress.
Lastly, Be Confident: There is a direct relationship between clothes and how they make you feel. Having a healthy self-confidence is vital to your looking good. It is mentally and emotionally beneficial for you to feel good about yourself and it can actually make you more successful. The symbolism behind what you wear has more of an impact on your behaviour and self-confidence than the clothes themselves. Studies have shown that when you wear an outfit that you associate with intelligence and power, you’re likely to do better and feel better than when wearing clothing that you associate with sloppiness or low-skilled work.
However, not everyone needs to jump into a designer dress to feel good about themselves. Dressing in clothes that make you feel you best benefits your confidence the most, no matter what you are wearing.
What do you think about these? Are there some that I missed? Let me know in a comment and don’t forget to subscribe to get more tips like this directly in your inbox.